Recently launched generic sildenafil 50mg tablets by Perrigo brings a broader choice for patients who seek over the counter (OTC) treatment of erectile disjunction. After Viagra Connect and Aronix sildenafil, sildenafil (Perrigo) is a third option for sildenafil, which can be bought from a pharmacy without a prescription. Certain restrictions apply to the supply of sildenafil 50mg, such as minimum age for the use. Patients may be required to go through a screening checklist with a pharmacist. The screening questionnaire looks at the overall health of the patient requesting sildenafil, concomitant medications taken, as discussed in detail in this post.
How to get Sildenafil 50mg (Perrigo)?
Sildenafil 50mg (Perrigo) is licensed as a pharmacy-only (P) medication. P medicines can only be purchased from a pharmacy, including online pharmacies.
Currently, Sildenafil (Perrigo) is available in Tesco Pharmacy.
Sildenafil 50mg (Perrigo) age restrictions
Like other sildenafil brands, Perrigo sildenafil is licensed for the treatment of erectile dysfunction in adults aged 18 and over.
Where to get generic sildenafil (Perrigo), and how much does it cost?
Generic sildenafil by Perrigo is available across all Tesco Pharmacies.
Sildenafil (Perrigo) comes in two sizes:
- Sildenafil 50mg pack of 4 tablets costing £15
- Sildenafil 50mg pack 8 tablets costing £25
These are very comparable prices to Aronix sildenafil, which costs £14.99 for a pack of 4 sildenafil tablets and £26.99 for a pack of 8 tablets and slightly cheaper than branded Viagra connect.
Viagra Connect has the highest price tag with 4 tablets costing £20 and 8 tablets, costing £35.
Sildenafil 50mg (Perrigo) pharmacy checklist/questionnaire
Patients who wish to purchase sildenafil over the counter may need to go through a checklist with a pharmacist or another member of a pharmacy team to assess suitability. The assessment looks at the patient’s medical history and overall fitness, as detailed in the next paragraph. The assessment is not compulsory to make the supply of sildenafil. A pharmacist may use their professional judgment to supply sildenafil without the assessment when a request is made to purchase sildenafil over the counter. The checklist is almost identical to the Viagra Connect form/checklist.
Pharmacy checklist for the supply of generic sildenafil over the counter looks at:
- patient’s cardiovascular medical history, for example, a recent heart attack or stroke and overall fitness and ability to exercise.
- use of other medication
- review of patient other conditions
Who cannot use generic sildenafil (Perrigo)?
- Patients under 18 years of age
- Patients who suffered from a heart attack or stroke (last 6 months)
Patient with heart problems, including:
- Unstable angina
- Low blood pressure (BP)
- Uncontrolled high BP
- Heart condition affecting the valves in the heart
- Cardiomyopathy (inflamed heart muscle)
- Heart condition affecting the flow of the blood
- Severe heart failure
Patient taking certain medicines such as:
- Recreational use of ‘poppers.’
- Patients taking riociguat or guanylate cyclase stimulators
- Patient taking an HIV drug called ritonavir
- Patient taking CYP3A4 inhibitors such as cimetidine, ketoconazole, and itraconazole, erythromycin or rifampicin or diltiazem
- Patients taking alpha-blockers such as doxazosin or tamsulosin and alfuzosin
Patients with concomitant conditions:
- Patients with Peyronie’s disease
- Patients with galactose intolerance or glucose-galactose malabsorption, Lapp lactase deficiency
- Patients who had vision loss due to optic nerve damage
- Patients with a liver (hepatic) disease (cirrhosis) or severe renal (kidney) impairment
- Patients with multiple myeloma or leukaemia, sickle cell anaemia
- Patients with bleeding issues (e.g., haemophilia) or have active stomach ulcers?
- Patients who fall into any of the above categories would not be able to purchase generic sildenafil over the counter and advised to see their GP, who may be able to prescribe it instead.
Patients who are eligible to purchase the sildenafil may be given a tear-off slip, which can be used for future purchases without going through the sildenafil checklist/form again.
Generic sildenafil over the counter – the dose
As with all brands of sildenafil OTC, the recommended dose is one 50mg sildenafil tablet, taken approximately 1 hour before the sexual intercourse; however, sildenafil can start to work within 30 minutes.
The maximum recommended daily dose for generic sildenafil OTC is one tablet (50mg) daily.
As with other similar products, it may be necessary to take sildenafil a few times (on different occasions and not in one day) before a satisfactory result can be achieved. Patients who tried sildenafil 50mg on different occasions and failed to produce an adequate effect need to see their GP.
A high-fat meal may increase the time for generic sildenafil to work.
Generic sildenafil: possible side-effects
Patients who use generic sildenafil need to read product information leaflet to learn more about possible side effects. Sildenafil is generally well tolerated; however, patients need to be aware of possible side-effects which require immediate medical assistance such as:
- Chest pains (Nitrates should not be used to relieve chest pains
- A persistent erection (which may be painful) which lasts longer than 4 hours
- A sudden decrease in vision
- An allergic reaction with symptoms such as difficulty in breathing, wheezing, swelling of the lips, throat, face or eyelids
- Severe skin reactions such as peeling and swelling of the skin, the formation of blisters on the mouth, genitals, and around the eyes, seizures.
Common side effects associated with the use of generic sildenafil may include:
- visual disturbance
- blue-tinted vision
- blurred vision
How to get sildenafil without a prescription? (other options)
As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, sildenafil is available over the counter without prescription under two other brand names:
- Viagra Connect
- Aronix Sildenafil
Both Viagra Connect and Aronix Sildenafil contain the same drug: sildenafil 50mg per tablet. Both products also have the same licensing restrictions, for example, the minimum age for the use. Supply of both Viagra Connect and Aronix sildenafil is made after the assessment by a member of a pharmacy team (screening questionnaire), which is almost identical for all OTC sildenafil products.
Perrigo: Essential information for the non-prescription supply of Sildenafil 50mg Film-Coated Tablets (2019).