Venlafaxine & weight gain? The focus of this post is to explore evidence be one of the most common side effects of venlafaxine. Additionally, I will talk about other aspects of venlafaxine, including licensed use, and common side effects.
Paracetamol is one of the most purchased over the counter painkillers. It is still one of the most prescribed drugs in the UK. Over the counter paracetamol is available in different forms, commonly sold as tablets. Today, I will answer the main question of this post: Can you crush paracetamol?
Are you are one of few last patients who still get Celevac prescribed? Unfortunately, Celevac was discontinued, and now it is impossible to get it on prescription or purchase from the pharmacy. In this post, I will briefly review the use of Celevac,:what it is and talk about alternative options (prescription and over the counter products) which have similar use to Celevac.
Metformin is the most commonly prescribed medication for the treatment of diabetes in the UK. It is also one of the most prescribed drugs overall in the UK. As with other drugs, it is possible to experience side effects during the treament or medicine may not be suitable. Metformin can commonly cause gastrointestinal side effects and this very often leads to switching to another drug. Although there are many type-2 diabetic drugs, patients would be offered metformin alternatives according to the national guidance on the management of type 2 diabetes. Today I will summarise metformin alternative drugs, which may be prescribed to type 2 diabetic patients who cannot tolerate metformin.
Apixaban (Eliquis®) and warfarin are two popular prescription-only drugs classified as anticoagulants, commonly known as blood thinners. Warfarin has been used as an anticoagulant for a very long time. However, in recent years warfarin’s popularity decreased in place of newer anticoagulants such as apixaban, as reflected by prescribing statistics. Apixaban vs warfarin, a summary of the post:
- Apixaban vs warfarin: Are they used to treat the same conditions?
- Differences in mechanism of action between
- Do apixaban and warfarin need drug monitoring?
- Other advantages of apixaban vs warfarin
- Prescribing statistics
- Apixaban vs warfarin common side effects
- Is apixaban better than warfarin?
Montelukast, a prescription-only medication, is mainly used as add on therapy in the treatment of asthma, usually in patients who cannot control their condition with an inhaled steroid and who cannot control their asthma with ‘short acting’ inhaler such as Ventolin (Salbutamol). Today I will explore a different use of montelukast and answer the main question: can you use montelukast for allergies?
- What is montelukast
- Licensed use of montelukast
- Montelukast: mechanism of action
- Availability of different forms of montelukast
- Can you use montelukast for allergies?
- Montelukast vs antihistamines: what is the difference
- Legal classification
- Can you take montelukast with antihistamines?
For many customers, throat numbing lozenges are the first choice in the management of sore and irritated throat. Throat numbing lozenges contain a local anaesthetic which numbs the area and hence help with pain and irritation. This post list all sore throat lozenges containing a local anaesthetic available in the UK. You may also be interested in a related post listing variety of sore throat lozenges.
- Can you buy throat numbing lozenges over the counter?
- Local anaesthetic lozenges: active ingredients
- List of bet throat numbing lozenges
- Other options for managing sore throat
Amoxicillin is one of the most prescribed antibiotics in the UK. On the contrary, metronidazole is significantly less prescribed by GPs, mainly because of preferred use in dental infections. Prescriptions which are fulfilled in the pharmacy for a combination treatment with amoxicillin and metronidazole are almost always issued by a dentist rather than GP. The obvious question to ask is: can you take amoxicillin and metronidazole together? The answer to that question straightforward. However, I will provide reasoning behind the concomitant treatment and contrast both antibiotics.
Lacri-lube has been out of stock since 2018. Still, after all this time, some patients get repeat prescriptions issued with Laci-Lube on it. Patients who have Lacri-Lube eye ointment on their ‘repeats’ should contact their surgery and ask to remove it and replace it with Lacri-lube alternative eye ointments. I will list in this post the best Lacri-Lube alternative eye ointments and gels. All eye ointments which are alternative to Lacri-Lube can be purchased from pharmacies and online. # Continue reading “Best Lacri-Lube alternative eye ointments”
Diltiazem cream (diltiazem hydrochloride cream) is a medicine prescribed in the UK to manage chronic anal fissure. Today I will answer the most common questions surrounding the use, availability and treatment with this cream.
- What is diltiazem cream used for?
- How does diltiazem help with anal fissures?
- Classification of anal fissures
- The legal classification of topical diltiazem
- Topical diltiazem: legal classification
- Can you buy diltiazem hydrochloride 2% cream?
- How often to apply diltiazem cream?
- Diltiazem hydrochloride 2% cream: common side effects
- Alterative options to diltiazem cream