Haemorrhoids (haemorrhoids), also known as piles, is a common condition that causes rectal symptoms. Today I will review the best haemorrhoids treatment in the UK. I will discuss the best haemorrhoids treatment over the counter in the UK (part one) and prescription-only options to treat piles (part 2).
- What are haemorrhoids?
- Symptoms of haemorrhoids
- Causes and risk factors for haemorrhoids
- How to prevent piles?
- Do I need to see my GP?
- How to treat constipation associated with haemorrhoids?
- What is the recommended treatment of haemorrhoids?
- The best haemorrhoids treatment in the UK
- The best haemorrhoids treatment over the counter the UK (part 1)
- The best haemorrhoids treatment – prescription-only options (part 2)
Continue reading “BEST haemorrhoids treatment UK [Reviewed]”
For many customers, ointment or cream for insect bites is the first line of rescue in stings management. In this post, I will review the best ointment or cream for insect bites available over the counter and from pharmacies. I will also discuss alternative options for insect bites, mainly the use of antihistamines. As with many of my previous posts, I will base my recommendations on the evidence (if possible) and draw a conclusion. Continue reading “Best OINTMENT or CREAM for insect bites”
Statins, also known as lipid-lowering drugs, are a popular class of drugs prescribed in the UK. When looking at the most popular drugs in the UK, atorvastatin was the most prescribed drug. Simvastatin also made to the top of most commonly prescribed drugs. Historically, statins have been subject to scrutiny from the press, mostly picking on a negative aspect of stain treatment. In today’s post, I will discuss statins pros and cons (advantages and disadvantages). I will also review other areas of statin treatment, like sid effects, effectiveness and more, to support the most comprehensive list of statins pros and cons.
Continue reading “Statins PROS and CONS [TOP LIST]”
Hayfever, also known as seasonal allergic rhinitis is a common condition which occurs mainly during spring and summer seasons. Hayfever symptoms happen in response to allergens such as tree or grass pollen and may include runny nose, sneezing and watery eyes. Thankfully there are few non-drowsy hayfever tablets, which I am going to review. Non-drowsy antihistamines, which can be purchased over the counter in the UK include:
Continue reading “5 Best Non-Drowsy Hayfever Tablets”
Today I will review the use of three different drugs, which occasionally are prescribed at the same time or in combination with one another. This post aims to answer the following question: can you take co-codamol with naproxen and diazepam? As a part of the discussion, I will review a licensed use of each drug and reasoning for combination treatment. Remember to follow the directions given by your prescriber.
Table of Contents
- Co-codamol: use, mechanism of action and common side effects
- Naproxen: use, mechanism of action and common side effects
- Diazepam: use, mechanism of action and common side effects
- Can you take co-codamol with naproxen?
- Can you take naproxen and diazepam?
- Can you take co-codamol with diazepam?
Continue reading “Can you take co-codamol with naproxen and diazepam?”
Co-codamol is one of the most popular drugs prescribed in the UK and almost the most popular prescription painkiller. Co-dydramol, on the other hand, is much less popular medicine used for the management of pain. I will highlight the main differences between both drugs and (if possible) review the effectiveness of both drugs as painkillers. Co-dydramol vs co-codamol summary of the post:
- Difference between co-codamol and co-dydramol (active ingredients)
- Co-dydramol vs co-codamol: Availability of both drugs on prescription and over the counter options
- Which drug is more popular?
- Co-dydramol vs co-codamol – effectiveness. Is one better than the other?
- Common side effects
Continue reading “Co-dydramol vs co-codamol – two related opioids”
The main focus of today’s post is to review the most popular prescription painkillers in the UK. I previously reviewed the popularity of different drugs in the UK, which may interest you: Top 15 most prescribed drugs in the UK & most popular antidepressants in the UK. Most popular prescription painkillers (UK) will be ranked according to the volume of prescriptions issued in the last 12 months by GPs in the UK. Prescribing data was extracted from Openprescribing.net, a website which process information from the NHS in England, making information on prescribed drugs more accessible. I will make a short comment on each drug to give a better understanding of the context.
Continue reading “20 most popular prescription painkillers UK”
Paracetamol, one of the most prescribed drugs in the UK, and probably the most popular over the counter medicine has been recently subject to shortages due to increased demand in recent months. In the last 1-2 years, surgeries across the countries advised many patients to purchase paracetamol over the counter to reduce the cost of drugs prescribed on the NHS. In today’s post, I will discuss drugs alternative to paracetamol. Firstly, I will list some common combination of drugs, which contain paracetamol, which may be used if standard paracetamol tablets or capsules. Secondly, I will review alternative to paracetamol analgesics which are commonly available in the UK.
- Paracetamol: licensed use and limit on the sale
- Forms of paracetamol
- Analgesic drugs alternative to paracetamol
- Combination products containing paracetamol
Continue reading “18 products ALTERNATIVE to PARACETAMOL”
Migraine is a common condition affecting an estimated 6 million people in the UK. With approximate 190,000 migraine attacks experienced by people in the UK (NICE, 2012), pharmacies are among the first points of call to find over the counter migraine medication. What is the best painkiller for migraine? Today I will review common over the counter migraine medication. Where possible, I will review the evidence to answer what the best over the counter migraine medicine is. The following will be addressed:
- What is the recommended management of migraine attack?
- Over the counter painkillers for migraine: simple analgesics
- Over the counter codeine-based medicines
- Over the counter sumatriptan for migraine
- What is the best pain killer for migraine in pregnancy?
- What is the best painkiller for migraine?
Continue reading “What is the best over the counter migraine medication?”
Amoxicillin is the most commonly prescribed antibiotic in the UK, with over 6 mln prescriptions issued in the last 12 months. Flucloxacillin is less popular with around 3.6 mln prescriptions issued during the same time (OpenPrescribing.net, 2021). Both antibiotics’ distinct popularity comes mainly from different recommended use in the treatment of bacterial infections, even though both drugs belong to the same class of antibiotics: penicillins. This post focuses on highlighting the main differences between drugs. Flucloxacillin vs amoxicillin, a summary of the post:
- The legal classification of flucloxacillin and amoxicillin
- Licensed use of flucloxacillin and amoxicillin
- Forms available
- Child formulations for flucloxacillin and amoxicillin
- Differences in administration
- Common side effects
- Seasonality in prescribing
Continue reading “Flucloxacillin vs Amoxicillin: 2 most POPULAR antibiotics”